Friday, March 23, 2012

Gen 1, Chapter 13: Looking Forward

Nothing makes one feel their age more than watching a house full of children grow...
It seemed like a perfect way to end a story, watching them all...like my happily ever after.

Sure there were issues...

It wasn't long after bringing the latest twins home that we found out the very youngest, Dawn, was born deaf...
Mendy was really bending herself over backwards, even with Venkat's help to keep up with it all.



"Hello my little dreamer...I know you can't hear me...but I know you know I am talking to you..."




"I'll sing you to sleep..." 


Both our sons had started school...



They both said they had made good friends there, though Mendy and I had yet to meet any of them...
Maybe someday...

Asia's best friend was her mother, and both were at their most relaxed when reading a book together...they really were both geniuses...

It was watching all these things that began to make me worry for the future...
Who would I depend upon to carry on the family name when I was gone?

I hated to feel as if I was playing favorites...but I knew in my heart who was the most responsible and down to earth of them all...

My daughter Truth...

She had become like a tiny little adult with all the goings on around her. Helping her mother with Dawn, making sure the boys kept out of trouble...

She had even taken on the additional responsibility of a puppy, which she named Sheba...

I had never seen a person happier to be near animals than her...
And I had never seen a happier more well tended to pup...


She an I always spent the most time together as well...she even humored me by having me read her some of my cooking books at night before bed...


My decision was made...when I had brought up the idea to my wife before about picking an heir, she simply told me to leave it to me, and she would trust my decision...

I sat for hours writing out my will in its finer details...and added a letter for my daughter...


My Dearest Truth,


By the time you have read this, I will have gone to a much better place than this one. Do not be sad for me...I have a lot of family where I am. Family is the reason I am leaving you this letter...
You know vaguely that for the most part, I grew up without one. It has always been my wish to make our family's name mean something...and it is because of that, that I will leave you enough inheritance to take care of the family name. Someday, when you marry, I hope you will convince the one you love to share our name, so that it might live on through you and your children...
Do not feel tethered to anything by guilt. I know you try to care of everyone, but a very strange letter I received a long time ago told me to Wish big, and follow my dreams...and I think it was the best advice I ever got, and so I hope you will take it as well. Follow your dreams. Be all you can. I am, will be, and always have been proud of you. Love you kiddo,


-Dad


Once I had it all finished I called the family lawyer for an emergency meeting...it was the middle of the night after all, but I wouldn't sleep until I knew everything was secure.. He agreed to meet me at his office...


As papers were signed and details were discussed, all I could think of was that little girl back home...


Who will you become? Will you honor my memory once I am gone? Will you carry out what I have asked of you?

I had a million questions, but it was my mother's voice...a memory from long ago that gave me my answer...


"Always believe in the Truth, Gabe...it's the only thing we can ever trust..."


Kat's Notes:
Well, that's the finale of Gen 1, folks. The next Chapter will be from Truth's PoV!
Stay tuned for more, and be prepared to dive into her adventures! ^-^

4 comments:

  1. Adorable, bitter-sweet ending to a great Gen! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Dawn ): So true about the bitter-sweet endin. I'm so happy he made his family but watching an heir step down and pass the torch (unless you hated them) is a semi hard thing ): Loved Gen 1! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so glad you liked it! Looking forward to getting Gen 2 started, but already know I will Miss Gabe. lol >.<

      Delete