Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gen 1, Chapter 10: The Spices of Life

We hadn't been back long when Mendy started to get sick...


At first we worried that maybe she had gotten food poisoning from something she ate, because the nausea was pretty persistant.

After a week or so though I came home from work to find an overly pleased wife...

"I'm pregnant!"


I'll never forget the impact those two simple words had. I was a kaleidoscope of emotions.
On one hand, I couldn't be happier: I had always wanted a family of my own, and we weren't sure it was even possible for Mendy to get pregnant.

On the other hand: My Elder birthday was coming up soon...what if I wasn't around long enough to see my kids grow?What if Mendy was left all alone to deal with it all?

I settled for being happy and tried to ignore my worries. My wife was happy, and needed my support.

I did my best each day to tend to things around the house so she wouldn't have to worry...even if she could just poof messes away, I didn't want her straining herself...



When I wasn't tidying up, I was busily whipping up any little pregnancy craving Mendy had...

It never ceased to humor me  that she lived with a chef, yet always asked for peanut butter sandwiches...

She used a lot of her time relaxing, and talking to the baby...

"...and that's how the rook moves...hmm..maybe Rook would be a neat boys name?Are you a boy, little one?"


Everything really started to feel real once she really started to show, and I couldn't help but be amazed at the idea that a little life was growing inside her...and not just any life...my child...my possibly magical child...



"Hello in there...I'm your Daddy...are you ready to come play yet?"


"We can't wait to see you!"


Mendy was positively glowing...they always say women do when they are with child...but you never really can imagine it until you see it...

Though glowing or not, pregnancy took a lot out of my wife...and it got a bit lonely sometimes because she always seemed to be sleeping. I knew things would get back to normal..well...a new sort of normal, once the baby was here...

It was on a normal quiet evening that it happened...
I was watching tv, and she had been off reading when I heard her scream.



"GABE! What's happening?I don't know what to do!"


I don't think I had ever run so quickly. I got her to the car and practically flew to to the hospital..

Once we were there I got her in the door and they placed her in a wheelchair and we sped off to the delivery room...

After more nerve wracking hours than I can count passed, my first born was placed in my arms.

She had her mother's gorgeous blue skin.

Mendy had known all my regrets about my Mother, and so, in honor of her Mendy chose to name her Truth.

Truth Lively...the blue skinned half genie, descendant of a cursed vampire...it was so fitting in its own twisted way. I adored it.

Then, just as we were all starting to relax, Mendy cried out again. There was another baby!
Just moments later I found out I had yet another daughter...this one looked just like me.

She was named Asia, after the very place both girls were conceived..

We were exhausted when we finally got home, but it was good to know our girls were home safe and sound.

My little Truth...

I can't forget how Perceptive she seemed when I held her, just looking around, taking in the world. She make curious little sounds at things, and was obviously quite Easily Impressed with the world around her...

My darling Asia...


Much like her sister she was rather Perceptive, but she had a quiet manner and a deep look of understanding in her eyes...perhaps she would be a Genius like her mother?

That night we fell asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows, but tonight we weren't just asleep as a happy husband and wife...


We were now proud parents too...

Kat's Notes:
FINALLY! WOOO! Second generation! I could almost cue up a Hallelujah chorus and toss confetti. I was really starting to worry about him not ever having kids! x.x

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I love the babies! The names are very fitting/cute. I also thought it was very cute that Mendy has her own personal chef to whip up all her pregnancy cravings. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Babies. Looks like Truth has a baby-making session with Robert Mahoney sometime in the future now when she's grown up. XD

    ReplyDelete